Villa de Capoa in Campobasso is a real institution for its inhabitants. A naturalistic jewel in the heart of the city that, especially in summer, gives a precious coolness during the summer heat.
The Villa is what remains of the ancient market gardens of the Franciscan convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie.
In the 18th century it was purchased by private people and reassembled in a neoclassic park.
In 1875, the countess Marianna de Capoa gave the park to its own homonymous feminine orphanage and afterwards, in 1929, all the area was ceded to the municipality.
The Italian style garden covers an area of almost 16.000m² and it is characterized by the presence of tree-lined roads, hedges that surround small pitches and labyrinthine paths, all decorated with statues, fountains, arches of stone or hedges, a sarcophagus of the late fifteenth century, a well, stone benches, a cave and a large square with a circular platform bordered by a marble balustrade.
The main entrance consists of a fine wrought iron gate and lampposts in floral style made by Giuseppe Tucci, craftsman native of Campobasso. These works represent the major types of the Liberty Style in Campobasso.
The plant species are sequoias, cedars of Lebanon, cypress, Norway spruce and lindens that adorn this real jewel, they have witnessed the culture, art and taste of that époque.
Next to the park there are several tennis courts (indoor and outdoor clay courts) and the public swimming-pool.
The main entrance is located in Piazza Savoia but it is possible to enter also through vi Ugo Petrella.